For many, Börje became an affectionate and dear friend and colleague, an internationally recognized and respected pioneer in distance education. He was a fantastic inspiring mentor who generously shared his professional knowledge and international network. His warm humor reflected his empathetic attitude. His strong belief in the importance of promoting empathy will always remain a fundamental reminder to all of us that students' voices should always be the strongest.
Börje is mourned both nationally and internationally, by colleagues in distance education where his far-sighted pioneering work and lifelong research have made a lasting impression. He has left us a wonderful legacy. We remember him in deep gratitude and respect for his outstanding contribution to the international research field and for his unique passionate commitment.
Read more here
Ossiannilsson, E. (2021). Professor Börje Holmberg, Sverige - Till Minne. SVERDNytt
Ossiannilsson, E. (2021). EDEN
Ossiannilsson, E. (2021). EADTU
Ossiannilsson, E. & Gjeldsvik. T. (2021). In memory of Börje Holmberg
Ossiannilsson, E. (2020). In collaboration with Mark Nichols, Open Polytechnic, NZ I worked on the Legend of Online Learning with Bertil Holmberg Börje Holmberg Leaders & Legends of Online Learning
Ossiannilsson, E. (2019). Paragons of online education; Börje Holmberg: Pioneer and advocate of distance education, Sweden. Paragons of online education, ICDE
- Holmberg, B. (1960). On the methods of teaching by correspondence. Lunds universitets arsskrift. N.F.Avd.1,Bd.54,Nr.2. Lund:Gleerup.
- Holmberg, B. (1973). Supervised correspondence study – a Swedish case study based on experiences within the school system. Epistolodidaktika 2,29-34.
- Holmberg, B. (1977). Distance education: a survey and bibliography. London: Kogan Page.
- Holmberg, B. (1980). Aspects of distance education. Comparative Education, 16(2), 107-119.
- Holmberg, B. (1981). Status and Trends of Distance Education. London: Kogan Page; New York: Nichols.
- Holmberg, B. (1982). Essentials of distance education (a distance-study course based on a handbook and a reader). Hagen: FernUniversitat, ZIFF.
- Holmberg, B. (1982). Recent research into distance education. Gesamthochschule, Fern Universität.
- Sewart, D., Keegan, D., & Holmberg, B. (Eds.). (1983). Distance education: International perspectives. Beckenham, Kent: Croom Helm.
- Holmberg, B. (1983). Guided didactic conversation. In D.Stewart, D.Keegan,& B.Holmberg (Eds.), Distance education: International perspective. London: Croom Helm.
- Holmberg, B. (1985). The feasibility of a theory of teaching for distance education and a proposed theory. ZIFF Papiere, 60.Hagen:FernUniversitat, ZIFF. Holmberg, B. (1986). A discipline of distance education. International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education, 1(1), 25-40.
- Holmberg, B. (1987). Growth and structure of distance education. London: Croom Helm.
- Holmberg, B., & Schuemer, R. (1989). Tutoring frequency in distance education – an empirical study of the impact of various frequencies of assignment submission. Hagen: FernUniversitat, ZIFF.
- Holmberg, B. (1989). Mediated Communication as a Component of Distance Education. Hagen: FernUniversitat.
- Holmberg, B. (1990). A bibliography of writings on distance education. Hagen: FernUniversitat, ZIFF.
- Holmberg, B. (1990). Serving academic purposes by an empathy approach to distance education. In D. Eastwood, B. farmer, & B. Lantz (Eds.), Aspects of Educational and Training Technology XXIII. London: Kogan Page; New York: Nichols.
- Holmberg, B. (1995). The evolution of the character and practice of distance education. Open learning, 10(2), 47-53.
- Holmberg, B. (1995). Theory and practice of distance education-2nd edition. London and New York: Routledge.
- Holmberg, B. (1995). The sphere of distance-education theory revisited. ZIFF Papiere, 98. Hagen: FernUniversitat, ZIFF.
- Holmberg, B. (1997). Distance-education theory again. Open Learning 12(1), 31-39.
- Holmberg, B. (1998). Critical reflection, politics, obscurantism and distance education. Epistolodidaktika 2, 27-37.
- Holmberg, B. (1999). The conversational approach to distance education. Open Learning 14(3), 58-60.
- Holmberg, B. (2000). Status and trends of distance-education research. In E. Wagner, & A. Szucs (Eds.), Research and innovation in open and distance learning 1-5. Prague: European Distance Education Network – EDEN.
- Holmberg, B. (2001). Distance education in essence: An overview of theory and practice in the early twenty-first century. Bibliotheks-und Informationssystem der Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg (BIS).
- Holmberg, B. (2001). Distance education in essence. Oldenburg, Germany: Bibliotheksund Informations system der Universitat Oldenburg.
- Holmberg, B. (2003). Distance Education in Essence. An overview of theory and practice in the early twenty-first century. Oldenburg: Bibliotheks-und Informationssystem der Universitat Oldenburg.
- Holmberg, B. (2005). Distance Education and Languages: Evolution and Change. New Perspectives on Language and Education. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Holmberg, B. (2005). The Evolution, Principles and Practices of Distance Education, Vol.II. Oldenburgh: B/S-Verlag der Carl von Ossietzky Universitat.
- Holmberg, B., Hrsg. Bernath, & Busch, F. W. (2005). The evolution, principles and practices of distance education (Vol. 11). Bis.